Christmas has come and gone... oh noooo! I do have to say, it gets better with kids around. I've always been a New Years kindda girl. Celebrating hard to bring in the new year, but after having my daughter (after she'd grown a bit) it just got really great to see the sparkle in her eyes when she sees the Christmas tree. If you live in England you have something to look forward to after Christmas... the January Sales!!! Yes baby, amazing deals on all sorts of stuff, which also means crazy people all over the place, but hey, if you plan well you can get some good stuff.
Ok, but this is NOT the reason for this post. I talked about Christmas in Brazil, in the USA, now I want to talk about Boxing Day (St. Stephen's Day) in England. One of the theories is that it all started centuries ago by farmers who would pack up all the left over food (or money/gifts) and give to their servants the day after Christmas.
In the UK (and other countries of the Commonwealth) it's a public holiday, hurray! So, you can just relax or enjoy a day of craziness shopping. You get to eat Christmas leftovers and watch a football match from the Premier League.
A great boxing day recipe, I've always enjoyed:
Bubble & Squeak
- 2 Tbsps Olive Oil (a healthier version from the fried bacon, and lard used on the traditional one)
- Onions and garlic
- Left over turkey (all shredded)
- Left over veggies
- Left over mashed potatoes (do you notice a pattern?)
- Fried egg, optional
- Put the olive oil in a pan and saute the onion and garlic. Once they are soft, add the turkey until it's a little fried.
- Next, add the veggies and after they are warm, add the mashed potatoes. The potatoes will make everything glue together.
- Shape it as a disc (you can make it one big one to share, or many individual ones)
- Serve once it's brown on both sides with the fried egg on the side and some HP brown sauce.
It's serious stuff.
Happy Boxing Day!