A lot of times, you are relocating, your company is paying for everything until you get there, then what?
- How are you going to know that it's the right move?
- What if you are moving somewhere more expensive than where you are now?
- What if you own a home right now, but you will have to rent?
- What if you drive 30 miles to work now, but the new office is right around the corner to your dream neighborhood and you could cycle to work everyday? But rent is a little too much?
- What if, like London, the benefit of living far from the city centre is the rental/mortgage prices, but then you will probably pay the equivalent to a second rent with public transport?
My answer to all of these questions is, make a spreadsheet. Have it all on paper, in front of you, so you can make the best informed decision for you and your family. Even if you are moving somewhere to study, or if you are moving on your own, especially if you don't have a company backing you.
I've prepared this spreadsheet to make it easier when deciding. I have it in PDF format and excel format because it will make it much easier to edit the categories. Be honest with yourself and let's get to work!