- A travel diary.
- A travel wallet.
- A nice passport cover.
- A playlist with their favorite songs.
- A scarf, if they are going somewhere cold.
- A travel tie case.
- A care pack with their favorite local things (you could mail it to them).
- An adapter. Something you can never have enough.
A couple of other ideas are:
- Mail to their future place a DVD with local TV shows. I tell you, even the worst of the programs are missed when you are away. I remember when I lived in DC, I had a chance to subscribe to the main Brazilian TV channel, after years of living abroad, I loved having this channel. It was great, I don't know why, but I didn't realized I missed it until I had it, I watched it all the time, even the crappiest of the shows, too funny when I think back.
- Make some videos of all your friends (family) together, write him/her some letters for them to open when they are away, or feeling blue.
There is still time to get some presents before Christmas!